2020 has been a year like no other in many, many ways and the real estate market is no exception. Despite high prices and low inventory, extremely low mortgage rates may make this a perfect opportunity for some. Some factors to consider if you’re thinking about purchasing a new home:
- Is your employment situation strong? A solid and stable job history is essential and you should honestly evaluate your company’s long-term prospects before deciding to purchase a home.
- Clean up your credit score. Make sure your credit history is accurate before applying for a mortgage. Certainly the lower your debt to income ratio, the better.
- Pay off or refinance student loans. Again, improving your debt to income ratio is crucial and will free up more money down the line.
- Set aside extra money. In addition to a downpayment, unexpected expenses are bound to crop up. And don’t try to save money by skimping on important items such as a home inspection. This can prove disastrous in the long run.
- Look,look, and look some more. The more familiar you are with the real estate market in the area you are looking to buy, the better. Houses move extremely fast, so you want to move fast once the right home is available.
- Good luck!