These days would-be homebuyers – particularly first-time buyers – need all the help they can get in today’s market. Trulia offers five suggestions for improving your credit before applying for a mortgage:
- >Pay your bills – ON TIME: There is no surer way to harm your credit than to be consistently late on paying your bills. Make this a priority!
- Check your credit score: How can you improve your credit score if you don’t know what it is. Go to Annual Credit Report to find out.
- Become an authorized user: Make sure the primary cardholder reports you to the credit bureaus as an authorized user and has good credit.
- Get a secured credit card: An excellent way to build a credit score and to learn how to use a credit card. Make sure the issuer reports to the credit bureaus. You won’t use this forever but it’s a good way to begin.
- Start with a credit-builder loan: Start building a credit history. Make your payments, improve your score.